Here is my challenge answer to Project Quilting's third session - Tool Time. I wanted to make something that is useful, as opposed to a wall hanging or some other curious thing that you need to think about in order to put it to use. One of the girls at our quilt group brought her blocks in for show and tell and she kept them in a clever block keeper that her mother in law had made for her. So I borrowed that idea and made a block keeper for the challenge. I found a yard of floral in my stash and decided it would make a good background for the keeper. I'd never done anything in redwork and thought it would be fun to give this technique a try as well. I found images online of the four tools I needed. The featherweight would be the leading icon with the other three a bit smaller. I set the machine for a narrow zigzag satin stitch and, after tracing the images, just followed my lines.
The keeper opens up to about 27" long by 14" wide. There are handles at the top and two ties at each side which will keep the blocks being carried in place. This was a fun project and I ended up winning a prize when Kim, Project Quilting's Mom, drew names. Well worth the effort! Plus this will be for sale at our annual Christmas Boutique for Charity this December.