Here is a pattern that I bought awhile back and had it on my list of things to do at some point. Well that 'point' came within the past two days. I chose some really cute fabric - SWELL from Moda and used 8 of its charm squares for the pin cushion top. Fortunately I also found yardage that I could use for the body of the thread catcher.
Here is my finished product. It turned out really cute. I always find a way to differ from the pattern, but this time I just did what they told me to do and it worked up very nicely. They suggested ground walnut shells for the pin cushion and the only shells I could find were in a 5 pound bag at the pet store, so I told the salesgirl what I was up to and she suggested that I use Hermit Crab bedding, which is nothing more than fine gravel. So that's what I chose. The finished product results in a heavy enough cushion to hold the thread catcher. Sew! Another project done -- Way Moore Fun!!